About Vocal Expressions
Vocal Expressions is 20 years old this year. From 20 founder members in 1997 it has grown to almost 60. Robert Webb, an enthusiastic and talented singer and musician, joined Vocal Expressions as Musical Director in 2013. Working closely with him is gifted and accomplished accompanist, Lloyd Buck. Together they form an exciting, innovative and inspirational team leading the choir to higher standards, improved performances, and even more musical enjoyment and a great sense of achievement.
Members of Vocal Expressions are:
- From all walks of life and backgrounds.
- Passionate about singing together, working towards a shared goal of performing amazing music.
- Fun loving and friendly, as well as committed to learning, improving their musical skills, performing in concerts and supporting other choir activities.
Joining Vocal Expressions
- An ability to read music is helpful, but not essential; plenty of support is always at hand.
- Prospective members are given a simple voice test to place them in the correct section of the choir; First Soprano, Second Soprano or Alto.
- All performances are without copy so a high level of dedication is needed, with the added advantage of flexing the brain.
Throughout the year in choir is involved in:
- Performing at its own concerts with invited guests, encouraging young talents.
- Performing as guests of other choir, bands and organisations.
- Fundraising for charities both local and national. Recently we supported Yorkshire Air Ambulance, First Breath Appeal, Holme Valley Hospital League of Friends, Yorkshire Lupus and Kirkwood Hospice.
- Taking part in community events including Christmas singing at Wooldale Co-op, local pubs, and Holmfirth Lights Switch On.
- Organising two members’ workshops, one residential, for the learning of new repertoire, socialising and having fun.